Friday, April 11, 2008

Broken Foot?

Yep, that's right! I broke my foot. Yesterday morning I was stepping down into the family room and slipped on a baby toy. Yep, that one that Jim has been fussing about..........He always says, "someone is going to hurt theirself on one of these toys". Boy, was he right! It hurt so bad, I think I cried for 20 minutes. I kept praying it would go away, but it just didnt. I laid in bed all day with it propped up, iced down. This morning I knew I had to go to the dr, because the pain was just too intense. I could not step down on it for the life of me. So, according to Xray, I broke the Fifth Metatarsal and will most likely require surgery. I have an appt with an ortho on Monday and will find out then. My dr. today told me that surgery, in his opinion, was my best option. It will increase the speed of recovery. And being the mom of 3, I'd say I need the speediest recovery and healing! After wrecking Jim's car, losing my wedding ring and now this...........I definitely believe a dark cloud is looming over me. But, my dad assured me that when the sun does come out it's going to shine brightly! Thank you dad for sending such warm feelings of reassurance to me. I needed that! He is right.....the sun will shine soon enough.

I want to talk about how wonderful Jim has been. Last night, he got the kids all their supper, ready for bed, medicine, cleaned up the whole house and got everyone to bed. He even woke up with Kathryn at 2:30am and again with Alex at 4 am. Alex has the croup. Jim was so tired this morning and didn't complain a bit. He woke Audrey up got all of her stuff ready for school and took her without waking me up. He cleaned up the house again today and took Alex to the dr. for me and went to the grocery store and pharmacy. Thank you Honey! I love you so much! You are an amazing husband and terrific father. Oh yeah! and he went to Audrey's school today to watch her perform in her reader's theater program. I mean, was he Mr. Mom today or what? I have to say, he did a superb job!

My MIL kept Kathryn all day yesterday and picked her up tonight to keep her through Sunday. That is a huge help! She always comes to my rescue and that means the world to me. :) I feel so blessed to have a MIL like her. She is amazing!

Audrey came in from school today and cleaned up my bedroom, made my bed all cozy, brought me flowers, swept the playroom and loaded my MIL's car with Kathryn's bags. She did all that with noone ever asking.......... She has such a HUGE heart and just wanted to help out. I love her so much and I'm so proud of the young lady she is becoming. :)

As for Alex, well, he's been a big help too. Yesterday he took as much care of me as he could. He said, "mommy I'm not a very good doctor, but I'll try." Well, enough said...........my heart melted, of course. God bless him, he sat in the bed next to me eating his lunch and got BBQ chips all over my bed. I didn't even care! Seriously, I can't think of anything I would have loved more than my greasy BBQ flavored bag of ice(from his greasy little fingers icing down my foot). And chip sprinkles all over me and my bed, of course. The perfect recipe for taking my mind off my aching foot.

Stay tuned for an update.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh Beth! I'm SO SORRY to hear about your foot, you poor thing! My heart is with you girl. I've had stress fractures in my foot and they are NOT fun. Listen to the drs. They know their stuff. Those metatarcils are difficult bones to heal. Do what the drs tell you ok? STAY OFF THE FOOT! I am saying a prayer for you....that God will give your drs wisdom and discernment on the course of treatment for your foot, for extra energy for Jim as he takes on added responsibilities in the home, and for you,for patience as life around you keeps on moving (it always does, doesn't it?)--wisdom to know the best thing for you is to sit still and listen for God's whisper in your ear. Don't worry about sitting for a while, ok?

Hugs,
Amy