Wednesday, January 16, 2008

When God Speaks

I wanted to share my morning devotional with you. Several months before Kathryn was born, I was reading my daily email devotional from Christian Women Today. This particular day was about the need to change. It described how we spend so much time asking God to change others in our lives, we often forget to ask Him to change us. So, from that moment on, it struck me and struck me hard. I needed God to change ME, Beth and He would take care of the rest. I would say that from that moment on, I began to ask God to change me, make me the woman, daughter, friend, sister, wife, mother, etc. that He needed me to be so I could be an obedient disciple for His kingdom. I would say that prayer has been going on for a good 7 months now. I have slowly watched Him transform me and the complacent christian I had become. I was like a robot. But, now My heart has an incredible urge to be more like Him, unlike ever before. And it has nothing to do with me. It's all God! He has changed me and made me much more aware of the importance of me living in His word. I am, by no means, where I need to be, but I'm working on it and He is working on me too! :D Which reminds me of the song my husband wrote, Everything Changes, (song #3 on his playbar).

When I opened up my devotional from, Jesus, 90 days with the One and Only by Beth Moore, today I turned to the wrong verse in the Bible. I was ahead several chapters. I read from Mark 4: 1-25 I was so humbled by God's power at that moment. Not only had I read the wrong verse, but KNOW that He sent me there. It spoke of our inability to listen to Him and hear Him if we are not FULLY prepared to hear His word. Which reminds me of Julie's post about how she wanted the Lord to dig deep into her heart and penetrate all areas of it with His Loving Word. When I read her blog that day, I knew that I needed to work on that in my life, as well. And today the Lord shared that with me. The verses that stick out the most are Mark 4:24-25; "Consider carefully what you hear, " he continued. "With the measure you use, it will be measured to you - and even more. Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him." This simply tells us that we must be prepared fully to hear what God wants us to hear, if we are not, He cannot speak completely to us. We must come to Him with an open, desiring heart for His word and ALL that it means, whether it's what we want to hear or not! As we obey Him, he will sharpen our vision and increase our understanding. (this was taken from my Life Application Bible) How beautiful that God wants to tell us everything and guide our lives completely, if we will just submit and be willing to live as He wants us to.

What about you? Do you find yourself asking God to change others in your life or path? Do you need to ask God to change you, like I did? I can tell you that it's amazing how much easier life can become if we just allow God to change us.

Has God worked wonder in your life you want to share? Please post below and share your story! I'd love to hear from each of you.

Have a blessed day!
Seek His Face and His Truth in all that you do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your devotional Beth. The winter blues have set in bigtime in this heart lately. I get depressed during the month of January. Not sure why but I sure could use a heart change!

Anonymous said...

Beth, I am at work and took a few minutes to read some of your blog. I AM SO GLAD I DID.! Your text broght so many emotions that were good for me. I want to work harder on my Christian living and thank God for using you to remind--maybe encourage me is the better word.

Have a blessed day. Give the kids kisses. And, by the way, I never had thought of how wonderful Valentine's Day was for the entire family--you know besides Hallmark, candy, roses. But the effort of love to decorate your home with the watchful eyes of your children is truly the essence of the holiday. Hoorah for you!!! Love you Sissie Susie