Friday, May 9, 2008

The Morning of our Big Appt

I've been waiting for this day for quite some time. We have been working to get into Arkansas Children's Hospital in the Allergy Clinic. Alex has been seen by two pediatric allergists in the past and I have been okay with their diagnosis and partial treatment of his food allergies. However, in the last year I have wanted to take more drastic measures and the allergist pretty much just said, "sorry we are not discussing that yet". All I wanted was for Alex to have shots so he could enjoy his outside pleasures the same as the next kid. Outside and running/playing is his favorite place to be, but it isn't always a safe place for him. Anyway........our past doctor lacked a decent bedside manner. He always made me feel like I didn't know what I was talking about and that he had no interest in anything I asked or thought. I'm sure some of you can relate to doctors like that. We have been to Children's for treatment of Alex's cavernous hemangioma of his right eye in the eye clinic, for his severe eczema in the dermatology clinic and for the limp of his right foot in the orthapaedic clinic. So, I know how awesome this place is! The doctors, the nurses, the receptionists, just about anyone you come in contact with there will greet you with a smile. :)


So, we go today for a current evaluation of his allergies. He will undergo skin testing and possibly RAST, blood draw for allergies. If his antihistamine levels are not high, we will not have to go with the blood draw. (fingers crossed, it's pretty bad) Then he will be evaluated by past experiences and discussion with me. Pretty much, I'm just treating this appointment as if we have never seen an allergist before.


We have faced numerous exposures in the past two weeks. The last one being my decision to withdraw Alex from his preK class. They called me on Monday to tell me they believed he had pink eye. I told them it was probably his allergies and that I was on my way. Well, I get there and to my dismay, his right side of his face was swollen and you could hardly see his eye. He had hives all on the right side of his face. From that experience(along with other exposures) Jim and I deemed it neccessary for Alex's safety to remove him from school. Apparently, his teacher was not educated enough(which is my fault) to recognize an allergy reaction. Which is a chance we cannot risk, his allergy is life threatening and anyone in charge of Alex MUST KNOW what to look for and how to respond. So, at this point, I'm doing, as a parent, what I feel neccessary. I hated to remove him, but I had to. I'm working to slow down and listen to God as we face decisions about Kindergarten. I'm trying not to be in control, but it is so very hard. I know I will feel better after today's appointment. Does God want me to home school Alex? Is He trying to get my attention so that I will be more aggressive in my demands at Alex's school? I have got to slow down so that I can hear God's whisper.


"The Lord said, Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.' Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. After the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave" I Kings 19:11-12


Decisions, Decisions, Decisions......that we face as a family. But, oh the answers, answers, answers that I will get today. :) I will post with an update!!!


Happy Friday!!!


No comments: